jolie laide: Best Gift Ever

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

3.20.2006

Best Gift Ever

That year, I insisted, loudly, continuously, that I wanted nothing. I had love, family, my health, what more could I want? What an irritating drip I was. I had just bought my very first apartment, had a prestigious job, my sister was nearly through college and her triple girl-genius major made so proud like to burst. No, no, I don’t want anything I am so content.

She said she had bought me something, started ragging on my Zen crap on Thanksgiving. “You don’t know you want this, but you so want this.” No, really, there is not a thing I could want.

The day comes, she presents the gift. I probably barely contain my irritation at having my pious ass chapped like this. I am, however unwittingly, denying her the joy of giving, what a pill I am, so full of horse shit. I open it.

It’s a limited edition wrist-watch, Cruella de Ville from 101 Dalmatians. She freakin turned the state of Michigan upside down to get 1 of 100 for me. So cool.

Ah, god, she had my number. With that one act she was all grace and so gracefully punctured my pomposity and self-satisfaction. Point, set, match to baby sister.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home