jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

4.22.2006

Road Trip Rules

1) You must eat at McDonald’s. Status: accomplished. Not some wussy salad, but a big nasty hamburger, a bucket of french fries and half a basketball of Coke. Oh god.

2) You must play loud traveling music, and sing even louder. Status: accomplished. Rolling Stones, Lucinda Williams, Sheryl Crow, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Bonus points for howling off-key.

3) You must take the top down. Status: hell no. 45 degrees and raining. However, partial credit for driving with the top semi-open. The duct tape holding the back window on ripped loose at 85 mph on the Hutch, trailing a silver streamer a yard long all the way home. Bonus points for laughter.

4) You must pull into a rest stop for hot monkey sex. Status: not applicable.

5) You must stop at weird little museums. Status: accomplished. The Golden Age of Trucking Museum in Waterbury, CT. The gift shop stocks those items important for truckers—Burt’s Bees glitter lip balm, maple syrup, crayons. And it does beg the question, where is the Bronze Age of Trucking Museum? Or The Stone Age of Trucking Museum?

8 Comments:

Blogger Dr. S said...

Oh yeah!

6:49 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

Sr S, you are so fast on the draw! I was going to post a darker story for this photo, but now...well, I am compelled to do something goofier.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

Hahaha. I didn't mean to undercut you. But your picture immediately made me think of my favorite water/sewage-related sign, a "No Dumping" sign, replete with fish, painted on the ground on the UC Santa Cruz campus. Pretty terrific, thinks the ten year old in me, giggling.

10:23 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

I saw two tanker trucks labeled "Jimmy's Pool Water." Inscrutable!

And my own ten year old snarfled up her sleeve at the the trucks working for "A. Duie Pyle Co."

11:07 PM  
Blogger Thomas Knauer said...

I beleive the museums you are wondering about -- trucking-wise -- are in Nebraska and North Carolina respectively. My favorite is the Giant Snake Exhibit which was in a truck trailor thing beside the gas station I broke down at in northern Florida. I couldn't bring myself to go in but somewhere I have a great picture of it.

10:05 AM  
Blogger ttractor said...

oh, I would love that picture! and if I were on that road trip, I would bravely enter and take photos for you!

10:52 AM  
Blogger ttractor said...

A, I only have Car Wheels, which I now have to relegate to "Break Up Albumn" status, so please recommend more!

7:25 AM  
Blogger ttractor said...

ashley...I went out and bought it last night..."3 days" oh, are you trying to get me to eat glass?!

But it is beautiful. I am just generally going for more uptempo, so I can dance and cry and strut and laugh at myself at the same time..think "Metal Firecracker" or Sheryl Crow's "Anything But Down"

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home