jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

7.23.2006

I am watching the sparrows on the barbed wire in the back of the house. They are plain little birds, but I am happy to see them. When all the trees in the back were cut down in Phase I of destructo garden mode I was afraid I wouldn't get any more avian visitors, but here they are, peeping and hopping between strands of angry metal and the broken glass set into the top of the cinder block wall.

Phase II, the jackhammering of the concrete slab is completed, and now begins Phase III the most arduous and irritating stage of sacking all the rubble and carting it out. Rains this weekend, and needing to conserve strenght for running 11 miles, prohibit continuance. But it is far enough along that I dare to dream of planting some things this fall for spring time joy.

The alpine strawberries have been a consistant delight. They would have preferred that I did not strand them on the high stoop in full blasting sun when it is over 90 degrees out, but if I thought their bounty was over for the summer, they have proven me wrong with a new crop of blossoms this week. Their little white petals and tiny yellow faces are so happy-making as I leave for work in the morning. (one might understand how vital this is if one ever visited the neighborhood I work in. It got a write up in the NYT today for how bad it smells. And it was entirely understated.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

"More grows in the garden than the gardener sows"

-Old Spanish Proverb-

I think this was already on my other blog (if you were paying attention) - but I love it so much, I feel like posting it to you again - here!

I am particularly keen on sparrows - they come up often in Lyrical (& dirty) Latin poetry. As in - young maidens "hornier than Springtime sparrows"

a simple plot of land is a joyful thing

5:12 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

I'm not on *the other blog site* that often anymore--I feel like I have exhausted the possibilities there. I keep sending posts there out of a bit of loyalty.

your proverb reminds me of something else I saw once, in that you can't be a gardener without hope. And it is true that I find it to be, at one of it's simplest levels, an act of faith.

I have only 20' x 30' to share with doors, a stairway, blasting sun and deep shade, so we shall see what can be done...

2:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

you should Haiku more @ surfaceand soul

I love your Haiku

10:05 AM  
Blogger ttractor said...

aww, thanks. I am a fan of yours, too. Haiku-ing is a little wierd though, because I know her from 3-D life, mutual friends, hang-outs, interests. I like her very much, but I find normal human interaction kind of sticky and all of her and my interstices make it a bit more so for me.

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home