jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

7.11.2006


Tonight, the extra bonus of staying out late with good company: the cab ride home. Alone, racing with the train over the Manhattan Bridge, cool night streaming in the window, the glowing necklace of the Brooklyn Bridge cables, full moon hanging in thick air, and soon to bed.

3 Comments:

Blogger ttractor said...

this is also so wonderful with the top down on the beater convertible. I think, with the right person riding shotgun, I could drive long loops of highway, bridge, highway, deep into the night...from the Brooklyn Bridge down the BQE to the Verrazano, the Goethals to the Turnpike, the GWB down the FDR to the Manhattan Bridge...the thrum of pavement, the whoosh of cables, the smell of the water.

4:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've been away too long

your words - images are like oxygen to this poor scattered boy

what you describe above - I call it the driving cure

I'll leave to my favorite brilliant lost Maine folksters to describe: Tree By Leaf

"Don't take it all upon yourself my friend.

We can drive this night until the concrete ends"

8:47 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

hmmm. there was a time when I did the Driving Cure often, just drive straight out into the country for mile after mile, then turn around and come back. Perhaps I should start up again (and I am glad to see you back).

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home