jolie laide: Work is a little intense these days.

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

7.11.2006

Work is a little intense these days.

You are 47 years old, so when you finally find a good man with a steady job, you are extra grateful. Yeah, he's a little mopey, a little dark, but those stalking charges are from that bitch of an ex who is just jealous of how happy you are together. And when you get the diagnosis of cancer, you are glad to have him to lean on, and you put the wedding off. That's OK, the time will be better later. In the meantime he moves in, you invite him into your family, and it's true, your parents adore him. So when he shows up at their place, a little too drunk to be out at night, they call you and of course they let him stay over.

You will never hear from your parents again, and you will never look at that man the same way.

4 Comments:

Blogger slickaphonic said...

yikes.

10:57 AM  
Blogger ttractor said...

it's been nearly two weeks, and the horror of this double murder keeps moving around in my head.

I keep thinking about one of my friends who always says "you can't really know someone" and coupled with all the people I have been close to that have come unraveled.

All of these people were members of the community I work within--staff, residents, clients. To say it is unnerving is the closest I can come to it.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

I don't know what to say; words are completely, banally inadequate. But I'm sorry that this happened, sorry all around, sorry.

4:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"People just ain't no good
I think that's well understood
You can see it everywhere you look
People just ain't no good

We were married under cherry trees
Under blossoms we made our vows
The blossoms came sailing down
Through the streets and through the playgrounds

The sun would stream on the sheets
Woken by the morning birds
We'd buy the Sunday newspapers
And never read a single word

Seasons came and seasons went
Winter stripped the blossoms bare
A different tree now line the streets
Shaking its fist in the air

It ain't that in their hearts their bad
They can comfort you some even try
They nurse you when you're ill of helth
They bury you when you go and die

They'd stick by you if they could
But that's just bullshit Baby
People just ain't no good"

-Nick Cave-

basically this all could have been avoided if you had been listening to Australian Murder Ballads and Nick Cavery

the shit is - he's damn straight

it's not terrible - it's marvelous, this utter fragility

I guess that means I'm not frightened by it

1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home