jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

8.21.2006

Something has died in the back yard. In the wrecked concrete rubble that is the palette for a future garden, something is lying motionless on a bed of dead weeds against the back wall. It is gray and white, either fur or feathers, a rat or a pigeon, I can’t tell. But I know it is dead, there is a veil of flies on it, an undulating lace of black wings that rises occasionally then settles back down.

I go for my long run on Sunday, a time when I can do this one simple thing, fight gravity, friction, my own limitations. As my head spins away, my weight settles into my hips for the long slog, I watch the light change on the faces of the buildings downtown. It’s my own Rothko Chapel, now a brilliant reflection that stabs my eye, now a muted glimmer as the day fades. The clocktower, that landmark in my vista, has been sold to developers to turn into fancy condos. Now it has a grid of blue scaffolding over its face, its own veil of flies.

6 Comments:

Blogger letigre1974 said...

your own private rothko chapel...mmmm.

you draw beautiful parrallels.

michel

3:30 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

I was thinking of you when I was thinking about this!

9:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like the relationship developed between the dead animal & the clock tower

the cruel passage of time - the dance of life & death

8:40 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

rm, I know the clocktower will be reborn as something else, but it does feel like a curtain drawn over this act of its life. For that I am a bit saddened. Cruel passage of time...I keep playing Gillian Welch's Time the Revelator over and over, I am looking for an answer.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

I love that song.

5:18 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

:)

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home