jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

3.11.2007

In correspondence with a friend, I said: you can't keep lightning in a jar but you can stand in a rainstorm holding the broken wings of a blasted umbrella and ask the sky to strike you over and over.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dr. S said...

Too true. Hope all is reasonably well.

10:15 AM  
Blogger ttractor said...

Yes, I think all is rather well. This discussion was about passion, how to locate it, how to keep burning. I was reading old correspondence last night, and I liked this phrase.

Happy spring to you! You are earlier than us, again this year, but not by much!

10:46 AM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

Yes, hooray for spring: it's supposed to be 70 today.

I think that what I meant to say yesterday was, "Yes, I do this too."

10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home