jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

9.12.2007

I was six or seven when I first heard “Disneyland.” At that age, kid logic is still in full effect, so even though I could very well have known better, and being a pretty literal minded child (ok, and a very literal minded adult. stop laughing now, I am trying to tell a story) I imagined a country where Disney characters lived. Like, the real 2-D Tinkerbell and hippos with tutus and dancing mops and Bambi lived there, somehow, through some warping magic, pinned to the landscape of southern California. Hell yeah, I wanted to go there and never leave and be able to fly and have bluebirds make my bed in the morning and have enormous diamonds for eyeglasses. Burning Man is like that. And here are some of the characters that live there.








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home