jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

4.25.2006


You should fall in love with me.

Because I am crouching in the gutter, taking a picture of something, intense, and you wonder if you can make me laugh with the same intensity, what my waist will feel like under your hands.

Because I am wearing this red dress, so I will burn visible in the blue hour, and you are woozy with delight that it is spring and the air is soft, and when I pass you remember that the pretty girl always goes home alone.

Because this city is a catwalk and I cannot help but to swing down the street with a dip step, a skip, and you would like to let me flow through your fingers like a stream, gather me up precious, press me to you.

Because when you look into my face you know there will be a home for you inside me and we can make worlds and set boats of flowers to sail and have birthdays every day, and that is where everything begins.

6 Comments:

Blogger slickaphonic said...

ah, and now you've made my evening.

by the way (the way being totally out of ..well, the way...), do you ever say, "Give him what-for"? My Granny says that all the time, and I always wonder about the first time someone said that, and what they were thinking...

good lord, i've been staring at a computer screen for *too long*

this was an excellent post. thank you.

11:04 PM  
Blogger famjaztique said...

I could read this over and over. This is so brilliant in its capturing of your vulnerability and your strength. Now I wish I had written this. I do think everyone SHOULD write a paragraph or two about why the world ought to love them.

5:06 AM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

I do love this post a lot, start to finish. I was going to tell you a sentence I liked best, but then I realized I'd have to type your whole post in here.

9:20 AM  
Blogger ttractor said...

ok Nerd Girls, sounds like you each have a writing assingment....!

3:02 PM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

Ooo, an assignment.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Dr. S said...

Because no nerd girl is complete without an assignment.

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home