jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

11.03.2006

  heaven knows, I need light in my life too. I am bending under my weight, too far inside my own head. I force myself to smile, not just a turning up of my lips, but a full out, count my teeth all the way back to my molars, blinding donkey grin at the first person I see. It's a little old lady, out for a walk. She is using a shopping cart to help her walk, too proud for a walker, not ready to succumb. She is wearing a fake leopard print fur hat, a coat with matching trim, this walk is a big event in her day. And when I lay my big smile on her, she beams right back, and now I know what I will be taking pictures of next. I think I can.

2 Comments:

Blogger slickaphonic said...

i have a feeling that i, too, will be increasingly dressed in leopard print in the future, perhaps sporting a bouffant and big gawdy bling.

hoping, of course, to catch the donkey grins of young lasses as lovely as you.

7:58 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

dude, when I'm 70 you'll still be having hot flashes! (oh god. let us not think of either.)

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home