jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

9.13.2007

When I get something like this:

"You are validated Obtain your fantasy house immediately"

in my email box, I am very tempted to go back to my regular wan odd peering at the world. But, I am trying to tell a story here, so ok, no interruptions. We'll see how that holds. Well, that lasted all of two seconds, thank you editorial comment brain track.

Fine. Dust storms. Yes. Two days in a row, and to white-out effect. The first time, we ran for cover, and I imagined a gasping stifling wait it out under the hot canvas tents of the Alien Monkey Love Nest. Hey, any port in a storm. When we got back, our tent was still up, although one pole was splintered (duct tape!) and everything was covered in a half-inch of fine dust. That liberated us from cleaning for the rest of the time, coz basically day two we was fucked. Hurray for surrendering to entropy! The next day, when there were two storms, or just one really long one with a break in the middle, a little rain at the end, and the appearance of not one but two rainbows in the sky (oh, yeah, you should have heard the hippie cries of delight at that!) we danced through it. And garnered a huge appreciation for the Mad Max esthetic. More than a little sexy, no?










2 Comments:

Blogger slickaphonic said...

it looks very mad max...but maybe friendly mad max.

sorry for the lag; no computer for the last month.

harumph harumph harumph.

2:50 PM  
Blogger ttractor said...

it was verrrry friendly mad max. I'm lagging too. My handsome genius of a boyfriend can do anything but fix my internet. Or go to Burning Man in a kilt with a dead cookie monster slung over his shoulders. sigh.

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home