jolie laide

jolie laide

I started this when I lived in Brooklyn and struggled for grace in a city that grants moments of beauty and ugliness breathtakingly close to one another. Now I live in a place where things are a different kind of ugly and the beauty is pedestrian. I struggle with that.

2.12.2010

There is a damp spot on your shoulder. There is an overdraft on your checking account. She is standing in the loading dock smoking a cigarette and watching herself in a pocket mirror. A homeless guy is digging in the garbage for a cup to piss into. Buses are pulling out of the lot at 8th and Folsom, charging downtown in a roaring herd.

I'm pretty sure that this doesn't mean that much. We eat the doughnut and long for the hole.

2 Comments:

Blogger goodwillgirl said...

Have you noticed how most snow gets to fall only once? It lands on a street or a sidewalk or someone's yard. But some snow lands in the branch of a tree, making it ever so heavy, and then falls again when the branch can no longer bear the weight.

11:36 AM  
Blogger ttractor said...

I hadn't thought about it, but I do like the opportunity to fall twice. Thank you for that.

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home